Re: Women and Liturgical Music

Bob:

There's more of a tradition of women in choirs (SATB) in the 19th-20th
century Liberal congregations of Germany. Of course, it varied from city
to city and kahal to kahal.

Just like the intro of the organ, the intro of women singing in choirs
(and occasional SA solos) was controversial according to each synagogue. I
believe it was introduced in Munich before 1850 and there was some
controversy. It was probably more acceptable in the German "Reform"
congregations like the ones in Hamburg and Berlin. There was a distinction
in Germany between "Reform" Judaism and "Liberal" Judaism; the latter was
really more like American Conservative Judaism.

Remember, there were always men's choruses -- up until the bitter end.
They usually sang in congregations where there was no organ and probably
no mixing of the sexes. Lewandowski wrote a lot of choral music for men's
(TTBB) chorus, including his famous "Haben Yakir Li" for the High Holiday
Musaf service.

Women in E. Europe and Russia? I really don't know. Perhaps at the more
liberal "chorshuls," such as the Broder shul in Odessa or the Great
Synagogue in Bucharest, but I'm not sure and I wouldn't bet on it.

Eliott Kahn