Re: synagogue music, old and new (continued)

I hope that Robert is right that we have come to a consensus that it
is important to learn and to use traditional nusah.  I share his
concern that "most non-cantorial  service leaders don't know it" and,
therefore, are likely to use nusah for Shabbat on weekdays or holidays
or not at all.

I agree with him that nusah (and even trope) has evolved over time,
but it seems that this evolution has been slow and that has generally
been a good thing.  (I might compare this to the common law principle
of stare decisis -- giving respect to precedents.)  After all, the
Jewish prayer book is called the "siddur" has at its Hebrew root the
word for "order".  (I do know some Hebrew even if I made a "simple"
mistake earlier.)  I believe that we should retain a coherent
structure not only in the  framework of Jewish prayer, but in its
music as well.

Non-nusah liturgical melodies (what Robert identifies as nigunim) have
changed much more, and I think that here, too, that has generally been
a good thing.  As I observed before, the text of the siddur has
changed (Robert refers to several piyyutim and even Talmudic passages
are included).  This has kept our prayer dynamic rather than static.
(I see change as an essential element of Judaism and hope that, even
had the Second Temple never been destroyed, that we would have found
substitutes for animal sacrifice rather than staying true to that
tradition.  I think that change is part of our tradition.)

My emphasis on nusah to this point has been an attempt to establish a
common ground on its importance.  If that common ground is
established, I think that we might considere whether it leads to other
conclusions.

For example, here are two observations on the posts below:

1. We should be careful not to confuse nusah and nigun.

In part 3), second paragraph of Robert's post, he talks of a "nussach
Americanski" and expresses a personal preference for
"Hassidische-style niggunim".  I'm not sure that Debbie Friedman has
really attempted to create a nusah as we have defined nusah.  (One
possible exception might be her melodies for Havdalah.)  I think that
the term is being used by Jeff Klepper and was used in the Debbie
Friedman article to refer to "niggunim" rather than nusah.  And I hope
that we can have both, not just one to the exclusion of the other.  I
fear that in many services nusah is being elimated (perhaps a
byproduct of a reduction in silent prayer).

and

2. Nusah should inform our musical judgment as to the success of a
melody in Jewish liturgical music.

To the extent that non-nusah melodies are "un-Jewish" (Robert)
or "based on ... on Germanic drinking songs" (Winston), perhaps we
should replace these melodies, even if they are "traditional", with
more "Jewish" melodies.  Perhaps that is precisely where contemporary
writers of Jewish liturgical music can make their greatest
contribution.  And perhaps that contribution will be most successful
(as a means to meaningful Jewish prayer) if it is written by composers
who are steeped in the language of nusah.  Maybe then it is most
likely to have a Jewish ta'am, whether we can define that
musicologically or not.

Bob