Traditions

The discussion of Debbie Friedman's music has branched off to the subject of
musical traditions in Judaism.  Here's my thoughts.

A visitor to the Jewish Museum in New York or the Skirball Center in L.A. is
treated to a display of clothing, religious items, and other artifacts of
Jewish communities in different times and geographic locations.  One
message, which is stated explicitely in L.A. and implicietly in N.Y., is
that Judaism has adapted to the various environments in which it has found
itself.  In my view, this adapatability, while keeping to its core values,
is one reason our religion remained alive and vital over the centuries.

The particular melodies we use in worship is not a core value.  It is a
tradition, or more accurately a set of traditions.  There are other
traditions in worship, which also differ from place to place and over time.

There is a story that a new Rabbi came to an old congregation, and he was
astonished to see that at one point in the Shabbat service half the
congregation stood up, the other half stayed seated, and they called to each
other to stand up or sit down.  He sought out the oldest member for advice.
"Is it the tradition in this congregation to stand for that prayer?"  "No."
"Is it the tradition to sit?"  "No."  "Then why do half stand and half sit,
and they call to each other?"  "That is the tradition!"

Tradition is more important to some than to others.  Let those who value it
most keep to their tradition, while others accept changes that preserve our
core values.

One of my children lives in L.A., and we have attended services with her
family in both large and small synagogues.  The larger ones have several
minions, which worship in different styles.  My synagogue, Temple Beth
Abraham in Tarrytown, has both a Reform and a Conservative minion even
though we are not large.  There is room enough in Judaism for all, whether
it is by several minions in one synagogue, or by establishing many nearby
synagogies (which is itself a tradition).

I have no problem with the use of the older melodies in worship, but I am
glad when I can hear a new melody as well.  I may or may not like the new
melody enough to want to use it again.