Re:Judeo Arabic/North African music

Ari said (re Judeo/Arabic music):

>Well, more Judeo-Spanish, but I'm not
>sure the degree to which they are separate.

Now lately my personal mishegass has been the migratory patterns of Golus
and its effect on Jewish music. To the north you can follow it through
Turkey, Armenia, etc. stopping for a minute to note the common elements
between Bulgarian music, Gypsy music and Klezmer. What about the south? Did
the Jews in Spain come out of North Africa (and then meet up with the
northern migratory group)? Can someone who knows more than I do please
enlighten me?
                        EK