Re: African-American musicians and Yiddish/Jewish m.

Bob,

First as to "Mishugana Mambo" ("Mishugana" is the correct spelling, sorry
if I goofed on that): I cannot find any "Jewish" relevance in either its
lyrics or its instrumentation. It was recorded in NYC 1954 "with unknown
big band". A mambo from the 50's no more, no less, but very rhythmic for
sure. And Slim's music always makes me want to dance (as you might know he
is himself tap-dancing on some of his records). As the French surrealist
playwright Antonin Artaud said: "The dance is the language". Anyhow, having
thought it over I still strongly suspect that this "Mishugana" is a
Gaillard variation of "meshuga", "mishegoss" etc. Slim Gaillard made words
up that way, perhaps he chose it because of the alliteration. And the text
is about a mambo driving you crazy, I can furnish it if you want, write me
in private then.

Now, to something definitely Yiddish, a tribute to Jewish food, to "yidishe
maykholim". I'm speaking of Slim Gaillard's "Dunkin' Bagel", mentioned here
a few days by Robert Cohen. Today I got in my hands Slim's CD "Cement Mixer
Putti Putti" (President), where you'll find "Dunkin' Bagel" as well as
"Drei Six Cents" (this song was mentioned by Wolf
and here Gaillard really pronounces "Dreizig" in a Yiddish way - as far as
I can judge). Now, "Dunkin' Bagel" was recorded in Los Angeles 1945 with
Dodo Marmarosa playing  piano, Bam Brown singing and playing bass, old New
Orleans jazzman Zutty Singleton on drums, and Slim Gaillard. of course,
singing and playing guitar (maybe piano, too). This is how ""Dunkin'
Bagel", a very boppish number to my mind, goes:

Slim sings:
"Dunkin' Bagel
Dunkin' Bagel
Dunkin' Bagel
SPLASH in the coffee
Dunkin' Bagel
Dunkin' Bagel
Dunkin' Bagel
SPLASH in the coffee"
Bam Brown: "Matsoh Balls" Slim: "Matsoboutsiereenie"
Bam: "Gefilte fish" Slim: "Gefilte fish avoutie"
Bam: "Pickled Herrings" Slim: "Pickled Herrivoonie"
Bam: "Macarootie"  Slim: "Macaroonie"
piano solo (perhaps by Slim, but probably by Marmarosa)
guitar solo (very much in the vein of Charlie Christian)
Slim singing: "Dunkin' Bagel" etc
and then as a coda the spoken words:
Bam: "How about a bowl of gefilte fish?"
Slim: "Cold? Hot?"
Final guitar chord

If you are looking for an Afro-American/Yiddish tune for your programs,
this is the one you should choose, at least with Slim Gaillard. But someone
with interest in this whole topic should listen carefully to Slim's
recordings as he is, just as Kerouac wrote, excelling in all languages
known and unknown. As neither English nor Yiddish is my mame-loshn I leave
this to someone else, but having listen carefully to Slim Gaillard's
recordings the last days I'm almost sure that there is more to find,
braided into the tunes.

A song that sounds a bit Yiddish to me in "lanuage" as well as musical
arrangement is "Boot-Ta-La-Za", recorded in NYC on October 11th 1939 by
Slim Gaillard & His Flat Foot Floogie Boys. This one I have on CD "Slim and
Slam - The Groove Juice Special" (Columbia). Here you'll also find "Matzoh
Balls", mentioned by Robert C. And "thats a killer, too, man".

Groovy,
Ingemar

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->