Re: African-American musicians and Yiddish/Jewish m.

Thanks Robert,

In an earlier mail I mentioned "Mishuganah Mambo", which I suspected could
have some Yiddish overtones. However, since then I've come across a CD with
that number on it and must state that wherever the title comes from,
there's just plain English in it. In the liner notes to this CD - which I
just acquired some days ago ("Laughing in Rhythm" - Verve)  - it's however
stated that "Fascinated with the music of all kinds of speech, Slim heard
many foreign languages in New York and Los Angeles and made up his own
approximations, which sounded like them but weren't". So. perhaps the
question still remains: did Slim Gaillard actually speak Yiddish?

This is not to say that Slim didn't have some knowledge of Yiddish. But
certainly he mixed his findings. We have Jack Kerouac's testimony from "On
the road", too:

"Slim sits down at the piano and hits two notes, two C's, then two more,
then one, then two, and suddenly the big burly bass-player wakes up from a
reverie and realizes Slim is playing 'C-Jam Blues' and he slugs in his big
forefinger on the string and the big
booming beat begins and everybody starts rocking and Slim looks just as sad
as ever, and they blow jazz for half an hour, and then Slim goes mad and
grabs the bongos and plays tremendous rapid Cubana beats and yells crazy
things in Spanish, in Arabic, in Peruvian dialect, in Egyptian, in every
language he knows, and he knows innumerable languages".

This is, more or less, perfectly mirrored in "Opera in Vout (Grove Juice
Symphony)", issued on the CD mentioned above (according to the liner notes
Slim's only existing live recording).

With the help of a friend I hope to be able to furnish some information on
"Dunkin' Bagel" here tomorrow, or so.

As Slim's and Leo's musical comrade Harry "The Hipster" once sang:

Alright, dancin' in the lights tonight.

Ingemar