Upcoming performances

Fellow Jewish Music List members,

This is a copy of a press release I sent out last week.  It lists the dates
for a mini-spring tour in the Northeast that Warren and I are undertaking
just before Passover.  I hope to see some of you at these performances.
David Chevan

Southern Connecticut State University Professor and Jazz Artist David Chevan
will tour Northeast in a series of concerts with pianist Warren Byrd

SCSU Music Professor and bassist, David Chevan will be performing, "Avadim
Hayinu--Once We Were Slaves," a concert of jazz interpretations  of Sacred
and Spiritual Works from the Jewish and African-American traditions with
pianist, Warren Byrd at on several occasions in late March.

First, at Congregation Rodeph Shalom on 2385 Park Avenue in Bridgeport, CT
at 8:00 p.m. on Saturday, March 20, the phone number for further information
is (203) 334-0159.

Then the following evening, Sunday, March 21 at the Conference for Peace at
SUNY Buffalosponsored by SUNY Hillel in Buffalo, NY. For more information
please call (716) 631-8766.

On Tuesday March 23 at 7:00 p.m. they will perform in the AlterKnit Theater
at the Knitting Factory in New York City.  The Knitting Factory is located
at 74 Leonard  Street. The phone number at the Knitting Factory for tickets,
reservations and directions is (212) 219-3006.

We have just been asked to participate in a FREEDOM SEDER at the JCC in
Woodbridge, CT on the eve of Wednesday, March 24, but there are as yet no
further details.

At 7:30 p.m. on Sunday, March 28, Chevan and Byrd will perform at
Congregation B'nai Israel in Northampton, Massachusetts.  Congregation B'nai
Israel is located at 253 Prospect Street in Northampton, the phone number
for further information is (413) 584-3593.

and then the following night, at 7:00 p.m. Monday, March 29 on the campus of
the University of New Hampshire located in Durham.  For more information on
this  concert please call (603) 862- 4120.

Chevan and Byrd's 1998 album of jazz interpretations from the Jewish and
African-American sacred traditions, AVADIM HAYINU, was universally praised
by critics and made the top ten album list of 1998 in New York City's The
Jewish Week where it was described as "A brilliant piano-bass duo reading of
tunes from the Jewish and African-American sacred traditions and easily the
best record I've reviewed this year.  Warm, intelligent and swinging...Five
stars!".   During the past year Chevan and Byrd have been giving concerts
around this theme in synagogues, churches, concert halls and schools
throughout the Northeast and their repertoire and perspective has continued
to grow.
David Chevan
Southern Connecticut State University
501 Crescent St.