Re: "A Search for Spirituality..." NYT 2/28/99

Bob - What comes to mind are works by Max Bruch, Salamone Rossi, Isadore
Freed, Samuel Adler, Robert Starer, Richard Wernick, Jacob Druckman, Miriam
Gideon, Herbert Fromm, Paul Ben-Haim, as well as Schoenberg's Kol Nidre.
Linda Blotner

At 12:49 PM 2/28/99 -0500, you wrote:
>Today's New York Times (2/28/99) has an extended article by Matthew
>Gurewitsch, apparently a "secular Jew", called "A Search for
>Spirituality Is the Stuff of New Disks" (Section 2, p.39).  It refers
>classical works by many contemporary classical composers (e.g.,
>MacMillan, Kancheli, Rautavaara, Gubaidulina, Part), but, unless we
>include a reference to the "Requiem of Reconciliation" in memory of
>the victims of World War II and passing references to Schoenberg's
>"Moses und Aron" and Haydn's "The Creation", he mentions no "Jewish"
>works, either by composer's faith or by content.
>
>Is this an oversight, a personal antipathy of the author to Judaism
>("Raised beyond the pale of organized religion, I choke on
>doctrine."), or have there been no noteworthy works of Jewish
>spirituality since the Sacred Services by Bloch and Milhaud?  What do
>you think?
>
>Bob Wiener

Linda Solow Blotner
Head, Hartt Library
University of Hartford
West Hartford, CT 06117
phone: 860-768-4492
fax:   860-768-5295
email: blotner (at) mail(dot)hartford(dot)edu