Re: Bitchin' about the role of percussion in Mideastern in

Ernie Gruner <erniegru (at) mira(dot)net> wrote:

> My understanding of KLEZMER (east european jewish music - the early stuff
> before it came to america) is that percussion instruments were not strong
> or even present and  that the percussion came from the  way the instruments
> were played etc.

The buben (large tambourine with a handle) and baraban (bass drum,
with cymbal on top) were quite common.  Rimsky-Korsakov, for example,
described a Jewish trio of violin, tsimbaly, and buben, which appeared
in his hometown Tikhvin (in northern Russia, outside the Pale) in the
mid-1850s, and became the fashionable musicians among the landowners.
 The same instrumentation still is used in Belarus and Ukraine.  I
heard a similar Ukrainian-Canadian trio (but with a drum set instead
of a bass drum) about 20 years ago in Windsor, Ontario----the
percussion definitely is prominent.

Paul Gifford