klezmer flute -Reply

I agree with Ari's assessment-- this is some great stuff.  I think it's
actually played on kaval-- which is an end blown flute.  Kerenyi employs
the technique of growling (or something like that) into the instrument,
creating harmonics overtones (or something like that) in the high
register-- you end up hearing both the low growl and the overtone giving
an other-worldly sound.  I've heard this on some Romanian field
recordings made by Constantin Brailiou (I think in the 30's?).  The
Brailiou recordings are available on Occura-- I picked them up (3 CD
set) at Tower Records in NYC.  You can also order from the
Ethnomusicology Museum of Geneva, Switzerland, who has a web site, but I
didn't have any luck trying to contact them in English.

>>> Ari Davidow <ari (at) ivritype(dot)com> 01/30/99 05:52pm >>>
I'm not sure the degree to which it relates to specifically Jewish
tradition, but there is some wonderful flute by Robin Kerenyi on the
latest Di Naye Kapelye CD (yes, the one for which I wrote the opening
liner notes) that was gathered among Christian Moldavians. Bob Cohen
talks a bit about the music and the culture in the liner notes to
the album (Oriente Rien CD 17).

You can read more about Di Naye Kapelye at

http://www.well.com/user/ari/klez/bands/dnkapelye/cd/dnkapelye.cd.html

ari

Ari Davidow
The klezmer shack: http://www.well.com/user/ari/klez/