Mentesh disc...

Chevra,

I listen to an incredibly wide range of differing renditions of the Jewish
repertoire, and can usually find something to like in many different
styles. But I just got the disk on Adama of Mentesh Nachmias and felt moved
to comment. The liner notes say this 85 year old former Yugoslavian is
singing in Ladino, Macedonian and Spanish, but one would be hard pressed to
tell, underneath the reverb, synths, rhythm tracks etc.

I've heard other discs like this, (heavy sampling over trad music) but
usually the "auteur" is billed, rather than the hapless "samplee" if I may
coin a word. So at least you have an idea what you're getting into in those
cases.

Any other thoughts for me by those that have heard the disk? Or want to
comment on this practice of sampling trad performers and then including
them in unrecognizable fragments in an avant garde styling?

Best, Joel

Joel Bresler
250 E. Emerson Rd.
Lexington, MA 02420 USA

Home:   781-862-2432
Home Office:    781-862-4104
FAX:            781-862-0498
Cell:           781-622-0309
Email:          jbresler (at) ultra(dot)net