Re: Mentesh disc...

Ari and all,

I've written to the label asking if I can get a copy of him _before_ the
soundtrack was loaded up (larded up?) with all the other stuff. We'll see
what they say. There's certainly room on the CD for both versions!

B'shalom,

Joel

At 10:41 PM 1/27/99 -0500, you wrote:
>>Chevra,
>>
>>I listen to an incredibly wide range of differing renditions of the Jewish
>>repertoire, and can usually find something to like in many different
>>styles. But I just got the disk on Adama of Mentesh Nachmias and felt moved
>>to comment. The liner notes say this 85 year old former Yugoslavian is
>>singing in Ladino, Macedonian and Spanish, but one would be hard pressed to
>>tell, underneath the reverb, synths, rhythm tracks etc.
>
>Boy, I'm surprised to hear this about the Mentesh disk. My brother is
>supposed to be picking up a copy for me in Haifa, based on someone's
>posting several months ago to this list:
>
>>From: Yoel Epstein <yoel (at) netvision(dot)net(dot)il>
>>To: "World music from a Jewish slant." <jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org>
>>Subject: Mentesh Nachmias, Gypsy fiddler from Yaffo
>>Date: Wed, 23 Sep 1998 07:52:04 +0200
>>
>>For those interested in Israeli ethnic music, there is a new CD released
in >Israel of Mentesh Nachmias, 85-year-old Gypsy fiddler from Yaffo.
Mentesh >plays and sings songs in Ladino, Macedonian, and Esperanto,
accompanied by his >son Avi and other musicians from the Israeli rock scene.
>>Until this record, Mentesh was a musician of strictly local Yaffo renown.
 >Following the release, Haaretz ran a feature about this remarkable
musician, >who came to Palestine more than 60 years ago.
>>The record is released in a joint venture by Adama and Hed Artzi.
>>Yoel Epstein
>
>ari
>
>Ari Davidow
>The klezmer shack: http://www.well.com/user/ari/klez/
>owner: jewish-music mailing list
>e-mail: ari (at) ivritype(dot)com

Joel Bresler
250 E. Emerson Rd.
Lexington, MA 02420 USA

Home:   781-862-2432
Home Office:    781-862-4104
FAX:            781-862-0498
Cell:           781-622-0309
Email:          jbresler (at) ultra(dot)net