Jacob Bloom

From: MaxwellSt (at) aol(dot)com
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 1999 13:54:13 EST
To: World music from a Jewish slant. <jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org>

>In a message dated 01/21/1999 8:45:26 AM Central Standard Time,
physchem (at) earthlink(dot)net writes:

<< At klezmer concerts and other events where klexmer bands play, I see young
 people and older ones get up and dance.  They don't know the traditional
 steps, but the music says "dance!!". >>

>I certainly wasn't suggesting that people need to be taught the
hora/freilechs!  I was saying that one hora/freilechs does not a simcha make.
But beyond the grapevine step, there are dozens of terrific community dances
which people don't know how to dance, so that when a klezmer band plays them,
nothing happens on the dance floor.   In addition, practically speaking, the
rambunctious chassidic-style hora/freilechs that throws people around a circle
at high speeds is too aerobic for all but the frummies to do for more than
five or ten minutes at a stretch.

>By comparison, when we used to play at a restaurant, a group of Serbs came in
one night.  They knew--and danced--everything we played: Rumania horra,
Terkisher, and on through the night.  A mechayeh to see...and sad, because it
made me imagine how the Jews must have once had such grace and gusto as I saw
these folks dance before me.  You see it in Israel in folk dance circles, but
it's not common to the whole community anymore, and doesn't bring us together
at simchas as it once must have.