Re: tanz!

-----Original Message-----
From: MaxwellSt (at) aol(dot)com <MaxwellSt (at) aol(dot)com>
To: World music from a Jewish slant. <jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org>
Date: Wednesday, January 20, 1999 11:09 PM
Subject: Re: tanz!

<snip>
>it's a terrific problem that the dances from the E. European Jewish
community
>are unknown to American audiences.  That is why some yidn are out there
>teaching them (e.g., Michael Alpert).  We always lead 3-4 easy Eastern
>European Jewish or Israeli dances at the simchas at which we play, but of
>course it's a pity that people don't jump up when they hear a krakoviak, a
>chosidl, a kolomeike etc. and get down.  In another life, maybe.
>Lori

At klezmer concerts and other events where klexmer bands play, I see young
people and older ones get up and dance.  They don't know the traditional
steps, but the music says "dance!!".

At the big klezmer concert in Damrosch Park (Lincoln Center) a few summers
ago (the one that led to  Fiddler's House CD), the best open space was right
in front of the stage, so people danced there.  The guards had been told to
keep that area clear, and they fought a losing battle to move the dancers.