Re[2]: Jewish Music conection to Elvis -Leiber& Stoller

And is that why his middle name was Aaron?

Regards,
Rich Wolpoe

Subject: Re: Jewish Music conection to Elvis -Leiber& Stoller
Author:  <jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org> at Tcpgate
Date:    12/22/98 2:22 PM

<<

Don't stop there. What about all the Elvis songs written by Leiber and

Stoller, and Aaron Schroeder?  And, of course, as Peter Guralnick

established in Last Train to Memphis, his excellent bio of Presley, Elvis

was a shabbes goy.

Actually, the connection of Leiber & Stoller to Jewish music is not incorrect.
Jerry Leiber as a teen ager worked at what is now Hatikvah Music. Back then
the store was called Norty's Music Center, and though it had a huge collection
of Jewish Music, it also carried pop, opera, calssical etc.  Jerry Leiber met
Mike Stoller in the store, and composed some of their songs while he was
working in this store. Leiber & Stoller are probably the most succesful song
writters of the rock & roll era ( Hound Dog, Jail House Rock, Love Potion # 9,
Stand by Me, Is that All There Is and dozens more).
There is another connection to Elvis, his maternal grand mother was
(supposedly) Jewish. That would make him Jewish by birth. I know that at one
time he did wear a Mogan David.
The above mentioned Peter Guralnick will be coming out with another book on
Elvis for which I have been interviewed due to my friendship to Jackie Wilson
("The Negro Elvis Presley")  who WAS JEWISH and  was idolized by Elvis.  Does
that mean that "Lonely Teardrops" is Jewish music???

Simon
Hatikvah

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->