RE: Jewish Music conection to Elvis -Leiber& Stoller

<<Jackie Wilson was Jewish?

You mean , he wasn't???  Yes Jackie was Jewish , converted when he was around
21 or so.  We used to "kibitz" in Yiddish, though he didn't really speak it
but knew a lot of the words. However I did once have a conversation in Yiddish
with James Brown, yes, THAT James Brown.

Jackie did a great version of "My Yiddishe Mame" at the peak of his R & R
popularity. He did an entire Lp  as a tribute to Al Jolson. People thought he
was nuts to put his career in Jeopardy. He told me he hoped to someday record
Kol Nidre.

Another famous rock & roll group of the 50's were Jewish "The Flamingos"  who
had a huge hit with "I Only Have Eyes For You". Though some people say it was
a Jewish "cult"
Simon
Rock Around The Bimah

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->