Jewish origin of a Xmas carol?

A cantor friend of many years ago used to say that he thought, or maybe thought
he had learned somewhere, that "Oh Come, Oh Come, Emmanuel" (which,
irrelevantly, I find truly beautiful, though I pay no attn to the content--as
opposed to the _sound_  (as in poetry) of the words) had some Jewish origin.
He/I had/have no data whatsoever to support this, so I'm not suggesting it's
true; but has anyone ever heard this?  Have any evidence of this?  Have any
(Jewish) musically knowledgeable Christian friends who could be asked?  Many
thanks--I guess I wish it were.

JEWISHMAIL: a service of the Jewish Communication Network, http://www.jcn18.com.