Re: More on Governess

that's Hebrew, not Ladino .
If Ofra Haza was a poor choice for the film it wouldn't be because she's not a
good musician; she sounded quite lovely. It would be a question of
representation. If no one whose first language - or at least convincing
language - was Judeo-Spanish had been available, the n "The Phantom of the
Ofra" (as the Canadian Jewish News once dubbed her) would be , probably, ideal.
But there are people around who've growen up with and/or specialized in that
repertoire for years, so why not go to them first? Also, why not do some
serious research into the songs and choose some that were more likely to have
actually been sung by them at that time? (sorry about
the "e" in "growen", this is my old unix system and I can';t