Greek/Klezmer connections

Does anyone on the list know much about the linkages between Klezmer music and
Greek music? Obviously there are some, even to the extent of melodies common to
both. For example I note that Dave Tarras recorded the same piece under a
Yiddish
title and a Greek title (presumably to appeal to both immigrant markets). Some
other tunes, especially hasapikos (I think)  from northern Greece, also have
features in common with Klezmer tunes.
Why would this be? Because of a greater population of Jews in northern Greece at
some time (19th century?)?  Under the Ottomans wouldn't the majority of Jews in
that area have been Sephardic? I also wonder if these tunes in common are the
result of Greeks taking up Jewish pieces or vice versa, or both, or is it
impossible to tell?

Tim Meyen

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->