From:  Joel Bresler[SMTP:jbresler (at) ultra(dot)net]
Sent:  Sunday, November 22, 1998 10:20 PM
To:  jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org; World music from a Jewish slant.
Cc:  reyzl (at) flash(dot)net
Subject:  Transliteration (was: "Ladino Database")

Bob,

I believe there is a standard work laying out transliterations for the
names of the prayers in the Hebrew service, by a fellow named Davidson.
Sorry to be hazy about the details. Can Judy Fertig or other authority
weigh in on this reference? I can't seem to find it on my computer, which
means it probably came to me in FAX form.

Past that, I don't know if there are any "official" guidelines.

Best, joel

the Hebrew liturgy At 01:53 PM 11/22/98 -0500, robert wiener wrote:
>Reyzl,
>
>Thanks for your advice on transliteration.  It is very helpful.  A
>discography of recordings in a foreign language seems so daunting that it
>would be a real shame to go to all the effort only to discover that all the
>spelling needs to be edited.
>
>I wonder if a transliteration standard (similar to the Yivo standard for
>Yiddish) exists for Hebrew.  I believe that I've heard that the Library of
>Congress has one.  Perhaps there are Hebrew transliteration guidelines in
>the Encyclopedia Judaica.  Is one more generally accepted, for example, by
>libraries?   Is there a printed discography (or bibliography) guide for
>Hebrew.
>
>(I'll phone YIVO to find out about their system for Yiddish.  Do they have a
>web site?)
>
>Bob

Joel Bresler
250 E. Emerson Rd.
Lexington, MA 02420 USA

Home:   781-862-2432
Home Office:    781-862-4104
FAX:            781-862-0498
Cell:           781-622-0309
Email:          jbresler (at) ultra(dot)net

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->