New CD from The Freilachmakers

11/23/98

With great pleasure I announce the release, on or around Dec. 2, of a new
CD, "The Flower of Berezin." This is the first offering of my band, The
Freilachmakers Klezmer String Band, from Sacramento / Davis / Sebastopol,
California.

This album will be particularly interesting to those of you who come to
klezmer music with a love for old-timey American, Celtic and Balkan music.
Lots and lots of clawhammer banjo, mandolin and fiddle pickin' (and more).

If there are reviewers or Jewish music radio programmers out there who
might be interested in our music, please let me know and I'll try and get a
copy of the CD to you.

Below is the standard press release that we are sending out.

Kol tuv,

Andy Rubin
The Freilachmakers Klezmer String Band

****** PRESS RELEASE ********** PRESS RELEASE ***************

The Freilachmakers Klezmer String Band Releases First CD

The Freilachmakers Klezmer String Band announces the release of their
first CD, The Flower of Berezin. These vibrant, rough-edged, yet nuanced
interpretations of klezmer standards, along with original compositions and
Irish, Balkan and old-timey dance tunes, make this album a certain hit
with klezmer and folk music aficionados.

Founded in 1995, The Freilachmakers have brought their unique sound to
many audiences in Northern California and Oregon. While in some ways
reverting to an older string-based Eastern European approach to klezmer,
the music is also highly influenced by their backgrounds as Celtic and
old-timey musicians. The band features Andy Rubin on clawhammer banjo and
mandolin, Dave Kidd on fiddle and balalaika, Elaine Fingerett on
accordion, David Rosenfeld on guitar and mandolin, and Lou Ann Weiss on
string bass.

The title tune on The Flower of Berezin was written by Andy Rubin as a
memorial to his grandmother, who emigrated to America from Belarus around
1920. Other tunes on the album include Der Heyser Bulgar, Papirosn,
Ragtime Annie, The Flowers of Antrim, Baym Rebn in Palestina, Tatsl firn
di Makhetonim, The Odessa Bulgar, Shtil di Nacht, Leibedik un Freilach,
Sonny's Mazurka, Horo, The Medyatsiner Waltz, The Minsker Corporal's
Waltz, Der Rebbe iz Gegangen and The Kishiniever Bulgar.

The CD costs $15 (plus $2 shipping / handling).

For ordering information or for further information about the band,
contact Andy Rubin at 916-484-1176 or <andyrubin (at) jps(dot)net>.

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->