Ladino Database

Joel:

             Wow!  It seems like quite a project.  I have an old 4x6 card
catalogue that I stopped once I anticipated that computers could create a
database more efficiently.  (Would that be 15 years ago?)  Unfortunately,
I've never taken that step and now 1/2 of my LPs and all of my cassettes and
CDs are uncatalogued.  So I'd appreciate advice from any list members.

             Can you (and others) share with us your experience and
recommendations for such a venture?  What software to use, how to set it up
(e.g., what information/fields to include), transliteration
consistency...?  For those of you who have created databases for Yiddish or
Hebrew, did you do it in both that language and English?
I've heard of programs that read CD information on
the CD-rom.  Do you know of them?  I've also heard of some databases of
recordings that you can use as a source so that you don't have to do all the
entries yourself -- it seems that you electronically check off the albums
you own.  Has anyone used them?  Would a scanner help in downloading the
information?  What sort of hardware do you need (for example, for a
collection of about 4,000 LPs, 2,000 CDs, and 1,000 cassettes?  What do you
wish that you had known before you began the project (in addition to how
much time it would take)?  Are there any resources for funding such a
venture?

             Thanks,
             Bob

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->