[JEWISH-MUSIC:5094] Re: sound preservation and archiving

Dear Steve,
Kudos to your excellent reply to my posting and agree with your critique
of the current state of recording technology. We are currently between two
kinds of sound recordings formats, neither off on nor on another. Your point
about the recent deterioration of batches of analog tape is too sadly true.
Places like Library of Congress and  myself have fallen victim to recent
outbreaks of tape self destruction (portions of my collection of rare Yiddish
radio programs must now be completely retransfered after only 10 years...)
Actually, let's just go back to 78s. Under minimally normal care, they seem to
last indefinately...

Henry

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->