Re: translation?

Hi Dan and Lucy,

Sorry I didn't forward something sooner, but I have midterms for summer
session...

Your translation seems pretty good to my (Yiddishly semi-literate) view,
except that "maise" in this case seems to be referring not to a bird but
to the Hebrew-derived term meaning happening/story/occurrence.  The
Hebrew root is La'asot, to do or make, and the noun form - something done
or made - has in pretty much the meaning of "narrative" - usually
transliterated as *maaseh.*  (As in "bube maise/maaseh - Grandmother
story").  Anyway, my friends  who grew up in Europe use it that way all
the time.

so:
>>A mol is geven a maise
would read:
>Once upon a time it happened (a story)
and
>>Die maise iz gor nit frelich - The story isn't a happy one.

>Die maise hebt sich onet - The story occurred in regard to

>>Mit a groysen Yidishen melech - WITH A GREAT YIDDISH KING

>> vaingorten  - is, according to my trusty Yiddish dictiionary,
*vineyard*

This sounds like a beautiful song.  Does it have an official name so I
could look it up in the Brooklyn College music library (where we have
some Yiddish resources)?

Regards,

Rachel Heckert

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->