Re: Identity in Klezmer

In a message dated 6/3/98 7:20:50 PM Central Daylight Time, ari (at)
ivritype(dot)com
writes:

<< How do American Jews view themselves, and how does that reflect
 >in the music?

 To this you want a simple answer? So many musics that reflect
 the interests of American Jews.... Where would we begin?
 Maybe someone else has an idea? >>

No one can speak for American Jews, in the same way that no one can speak for
the Jews in general (although many people try to).  In the broadest terms,
though, most of us consciously or unconsciously include the immigrant
experience into our creative process.  Some examples: Jazz, fushion (the
melting pot), and the greatest of immigrant emotions: nostalgia and
romanticizing of the old country.  If you listen to contemporary European
klezmer groups, there is a marked difference in their sound that may reflect
the absence of these influences.

Lori Lippitz
Maxwell St. K-Band, Chicago

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->