Re: biographical info request

Dear Hal:

Thanks for the inquiry.
Here are some sources available widely in public and/or academic libraries
for you to look at for information on Bertha and Isa. Even if you don't
have access to a library specializing in Jewish studies, there are many
general sources which cover materials in theater, music and early film
studies. Your local librarian can lead you to these and many other good
sources for tracing biographical information. No doubt there are more.
Listed below are sketches...from just a very "quick search" I made today.

First!! Biography and Genealogy Master Index is a good place to start
...For Bertha Kalich, a well known actress, it led to some excellent
sources. This is a common Index found in many libraries, and you may wish
to consult it for details.  I always like to check the NYTimes Name Index
or Obituary Index also when doing biographical searches of Americans.

For Bertha Kalich: 1874-1939

She is widely written about in many general sources.  I looked at two to
get a taste of the material: "Famous Actors and Actresses on the American
Stage" has a lengthy article and also excerpts from her own writings. "Who
Was Who in Theatre" had a nice entry with a chronological listing of her
stage appearances.

Here are some highlights for the curious> otherwise skip this section<
Born May 17, 1874 at Lemburg, Galacia. Married Leopold Spachner, 1890.
Studied Lemberg Conservatoire. 1890 debut in opera. 1891 singing
w/Bucharest National Theatre. First NY appearance 1895 at Thalia Theater in
La Belle Helene. Debut on the English stage in Fedora at American Theatre,
May 22, 1905 starring in Monna Vanna. Other stage titles included "The
Kreutzer Sonata". Toured 1906. Oct. 1932, a testimonial performance given
in her honor at Yiddish Art Theatre for her 40th anniversary on the stage.
Died April 18, 1939 in NYC at age 64.

Witter Bynner has written: "Bertha Kalich, the Yiddish Actress", in Critic,
July 1905, p.26
"New York Dramatic Mirror", Sept. 22, 1906.
"Harper's Weekly", Nov. 11, 1905, p. 1640

The following resources also have entries on her:
Liberty's women, Notable American women, Notable Names in American Theater,
Who's Who in Hollywood and Who was who on screen.

Isa Kremer:
check "Baker's Biographical Dictionary of Musicians" and "Index to Women"
She is also mentioned in Guy McCoy's Portraits of the world's best women
musicians, Saleski's Famous musicians of Jewish origins (bloch, 1949) and
Saleski Famous musicians of a wandering race (bloch, 1927)

Irene Heskes mentions in  her "Resource Book of Jewish music" (another very
good place to start research), an album of Jewish folk songs --- compiled
by Isa Kremer, a collection of Yiddish songs from her performance repetoire
published in London in 1930.

There are, no doubt, other sources, very numerous, on these two women.
Check the indexes to books and works on Yiddish theater mentioned on this
list previously.
Hope this gives you the start you need. Good luck! Judy

At 03:27 PM 5/5/98 -0400, you wrote:
>Judy: Is there any information in your  ASCAP dictionary about Berta
>Kalish (Kalich) or Isa Kremer? If so, I would appreciate a copy. Thanks.
>Hal
>

>Harold Byrnes (hbyrnes (at) juno(dot)com) No Attachments
>                           (hbyrnes (at) mindspring(dot)com) For Attachments

>Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]

-
Judy Fertig
Reference Librarian
Brandeis University
Goldfarb Library MS045
415 South Street                                phone:(617-736-4705)
Waltham, MA 02254-9110                  email: fertig (at) brandeis(dot)edu

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->