RE: biographical info request

The best place to do this work is at YIVO and not the National Yiddish Book
Center.   The NYBC can sell you books that may include info about him, books
that will include his songs, and lots of sheet music by him, which YIVO can not
sell.   YIVO is the world's chief archive and research library for all this
Yiddish material.   You can write to Zachary Baker, chief YIVO librarian at:
yivo1 (at) metgate(dot)metro(dot)org  to ask for information.   Chana Mlotek is
the music archivist at YIVO and she will probably be able to answer many of
your questions cold.   There is also a Yiddish encyclopedia on Yiddish theater
that would readily include this material on Olshanetsky.  (NYBC can sell you
copies of that probably.)   YIVO can make various xerox copies for you from
some library sources.  YIVO librarians can lead you to the right English
sources, even a scholarly biblio.   (Nahma Sandrow's "Vagabond Stars" in one
English book that will probably also have some material for you.)   Neil will
probably give you similar advice, unless he would be willing to translate the
encyclopedia entry to you on the phone which YIVO might also be willing to
depending on how busy they are at the moment and the day you call.   (Best on
Fridays when the library is closed to the public.)  The NYC music library at
Lincoln Center and the Jewish Division of the 42nd Street NYC Library can also
be equally helpful with basic info.   YIVO, however, would probably be the ones
who got Olshanetsky's personal papers as well as all his colleagues'.

If you know how to access and use university library systems, you can probably
access a biblio on him from your home computer as well.   The 42nd Street's
library is all computerized and is a phenomenal gigantic resource.   Try to get
into that system.   I am not sure if YIVO's library has completed its
computerization.   Zachary Baker can tell you that.

BTW: Neil's Zagorin's address is: nzagorin (at) bikher(dot)org .

Reyzl Kalifowicz-Waletzky