RE: lyrics question: iz + geven

>From my college German (which is where I get most of my Yiddish), "iz
geveyn" would be analagous to the German "ist gewesen", which is a form
of the past tense of "to be". So (in the third person), "iz" translates
to "is" and "iz geveyn" translates to "was".

If I am mistaken, would somebody more knowledgable in pure Yiddish
please correct me.

Dick Rosenberg

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->