Re: survey and Musical/Tin Pan Alley

Responding to the message of <01BD54D9(dot)6F28C060 (at)
nysh1-41(dot)flash(dot)net>
from jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org:

> Sometimes in February, I stopped reading almost all of the Jewish-music
> mail and am just now beginning to catch up with everything.   Just
> found this post.
>
> First let me say Gideon Aronoff, that I very much appreciated your
> comments below.  I have been learning more and more about Lieber and
> Stoller and have become fascinated by all this whole topic.
> Furthermore, it's totally fascinating at how Jews in general are always
> so adept at articulating and defining the local cultural values and
> essences for both Jews and non-Jews whether that its film, or music or
> art, business, or politics, etc.; or whether the country is America,
> Germany, Poland, Italy, France, or Arab countries, etc.
>
> Second, Alex Lubet, do you know or anyone else know what Phillip Roth's
> hilarious explanation of White Christmas and Easter Parade?   I would
> love to hear the explanation.
>
> Did you hear what Cole Porter said when someone asked him how you write
> a Broadway melody?   He said "Well, first you start with a Yiddish song."
>

> Reyzl Kalifowicz-Waletzky

I'll see if I can't find out which novel it's in.  Roth claims that those songs
are a means to secularize the major Christian holidays as a means of deflecting
anti-Semitism.  It's meant, I think, as one of those jokes with an element of
truth in it.  If you want to read a great book on Broadway lyricists, get
Phillip Furia's "The Poets of Tin Pan Alley."  It has that Porter anecdote in
it, but every other lyricist is, not surprisingly, Jewish.

(612) 626-2200 (FAX)

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->