Re: different tunes

As to a new cantor learning the congregation's tunes, I recommend that
the first few months a new cantor should sing as many familiar tunes of
that community as possible.

Torah Trop should be able to be sung any correct way anyone has learned
it.  At my shul on any one Shabbat morning we have readers singing,
several Ashkenzaic and even a Sefardic way.

Guests who are visiting and asked to lead a service (or read Torah)
should do it the way they are used to doing it. But a good guest mught
ask if there are favorite melodies the community already has and will try
to use them.

Cantor Sheldon M. Levin
slevin (at) mciunix(dot)mciu(dot)k12(dot)pa(dot)us

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->