Re: different tunes

Dear Amy,
        this is HARDLY a naive question at all.  It's a great question.

Here's my personal experience:

I became a cantor in a synagogue with a fairly set repertoire of German
melodies of which I new maybe 10-20% going in.

1)  I did my best to learn the pieces from former cantors, the choir
leader, etc.

2)  During the first year or so, I used mostly my own repertoire an
gradually merged it with the congregations.

3)  When I introduced melodies, I did my best to keep them in the same mode
as their existing repertoire.  EG I added another Lewandowski or a
Chassidic march that fit in with their existing repertoire.

4)  during the first several high Holidays, I took the back seat to the
cantor hired for the holidays who new the repertoire better than I did.  In
effect, I understudied.

5) I did not know the German Tropp when I started.  Since my congregations
wasn't overly fussy on this point, I didn't change my Torah reading tropp
until very recently.

In a neighboring congregation where they are much fussier than in ours, they
hired a cantor who essentially understudied for a full year using tapes and
lessons to learn the melodies.

Most American congregations are NOT fussy regarding which style of trop is used
by a given ball koreh.  However, some congregations ARE fussy. Others are fussy
ONLY with regard to new bar/bat mitzvo students, but "old-timers" sort of get
grandfathered in with their old style.

Bottom line, each congregation is different.  If a choir has a repertoire, it's
going to be really difficult to change them instantly.  On the other hand, a
talented choir can be a vehicle to introduce congregational singing, whereas
it's very difficult to do as a soloist.

I'm sure there are dozens of stories that others.  IMHO the interview process
should cover this in detail.

Also, IMHO it's not a good idea to take a position in a congregation with the
intention of overthrowing the existing "regimen".  I.e. one should respect the
local customs.  On the other hand, it's sort of unreasonable for a congregation
to shackle the cantor completely.  Ideally, there should be a mutual respect
between both the congregation's favorites and the cantor's selections, too.

I hope this was helpful.

Rich Wolpoe