Re: Reply to Gerben Z and others

Dear Ingemar Johanssohn,
        I think that the real reason peopl are uspet is that they are
intimidated by the former world heavywieght boxing champion and are afraid
you might beat us all up!

        On a more serious note, the reason people objected, IMHO was due
to the TONE of your letter NOT to your right to disagree with Ari.  This
might be a cultural thing, but most of the list felt so offended by the WAY
things were stated that they ignored the content of WHAT was stated.

        I am reminded of a cute anecdote from American baseball.  An umpire made
a very controversial call, and the manager of the offended home team went out to
"protest".  Being that he agreed with the umpire he couldn't oppose him
literally, but he felt obligated to "act out" a protest on behalf of the local
fans.  So he shouted at the top of his lungs using his most belligerent body
language: " I AGREE with you!  You're ABSOLUTELY RIGHT!..etc".  Well the fans
perceived this as a protest even though he literally was agreeing, and the
umpire (probably dumbfounded by the entire scenario) did not eject him because
the words were technically appropriate.  But the crowd DID miss the point (i.e.
that he agreed) because of the WAY he presented his agreement.

Happy Shushan Purim

Rich Wolpoe