Re: Midwest Klezmer Institute: 4/98

<< Hey, this came over on the Jewish Music List. The lady running it contacted
 Sarah to invite us to perform.... >>

I'm not sure this was intended to be publically posted, but as long as it was,
I'll mention that it's obvious that the honorarium offered to the group which
passes the audition for Saturday night at the Midwest Klezmer Institute is not
supposed to represent a band fee.  Obviously it would be a bad one.  The idea
is: the groups which help plan the fest end up presenting on Saturday night.
In the past, that has been Maxwell Street (under the not for profit of the
Klezmer Music Foundation) and one year, the Chicago Klezmer Ensemble.  If any
band members are proficient enough in the music to prepare music and lead
ensembles, and also to spend about a year meeting and planning and working,
they appear on Saturday night (staff concert).  This year we are trying to
open it up to other groups, but the JCC doesn't allow us a better budget to
compensate them.  I do intend to push for it next year, though, so we can get
more of a cabaret thing going.

There are many reputedly excellent groups in Chicago: Shtetlblasters,
Tumbalalaika, Chicago Klezmer Ensemble, Hasha Musha, Jazzmer, Mechaye, and
Shloinke, to name a few (forgive me if I left anyone out, off the top of my
head).  There are even more across the Midwest.  It would be great to organize
a Midwest klez fest for all who don't get the benefit of living on the coasts
(east in particular) where success on the big scene comes more quickly and
easily.  If interested in helping make that happen, please get in on
organizing next year's fest!

Lori Lippitz
Maxwell Street Klezmer Band

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->