Re: Yiddish on List

>Alana,
>We've got a nice little set of "Yiddish Language" tapes for you.  Get with the
>program,shoyn.
>Simon
>Hatikvah Music

While the tone of the responses has been light, it also seems to have been
generally negative to the request.  Let me put the request another way--for
those of us who will not learn Yiddish, but are otherwise interested in
Jewish music and even Klezmer.

If you can't find the extra minute to translate (or your ideology forbids
such a thing), just be aware that there are quite a few of us whom you are
excluding from the meaning you are trying to convey.  You may not like that
state of affairs, and, like our sisters and brothers for over a hundred
years, you may wish it were otherwise (the state of knowledge of Yiddish),
but that is the way it is.  If you want to exclude me (and others like me,
of course), the use of untranslated Yiddish on this list is a fine way to
do it.

Mike Leavitt <mrl (at) alum(dot)mit(dot)edu>
Reston, VA

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->