Re: "Yiddishkeit"?

Hi gang,

>This is the first time in my life I've ever heard of "Yiddishkeit" to refer
>the klezmer revival and/or the rebirth of the Yiddish langauge. In Yiddish,
>Yiddishkeit translates as Judaism, though in a much deeper sense,
>much deeper than the German "Judentum" or the English "Judaism" would
>imply.

Rather than add my own two cents, I'll encourage a discussion of
the term "yiddishkeit" on the Mendele list, or on Virtual Ashkenaz,
unless people really really want to dissect the term as it relates
to jewish music here.

I do think that Seth was clear about what he was looking for.

ari

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->