RE: Nitl (corrected spelling)

Dear Harvey,

Don't worry, I have no intentions of responding to the muck.

Someone else wrote me today that they had heard of the toilet paper
cutting before.   I have also.   But I think that this used to be done in
American yeshivas or perhaps in Western European yeshivas,
but not in Eastern Europe.  As a former student in a Brooklyn Hasidic
girls yeshiva, we were told that toilet-paper cutting for the year is what
was happening the boys yeshivas and shuls on Christmas Eve.   But
in America, Jews going out on Christmas was not a problem.

In Poland, the Ukraine and Lithuania at least, it was very scary to go
out at night and Jews made sure to stay home because one never
knew if those roving bands would beat you up if you stepped out of
your house.   Jews did not go to the synagogue or bes-medrish on
Christmas Eve in those countries for safety reasons.   So this
toilet-paper cutting is not credible and I have never heard or read of
such accounts from there.    Second, even if it had been done in one
place where safety was not an issue, e.g., one of the large yeshivas
which would have had an attached dormitory-like quarters for its
students, that still does not warrant making the generalization in the
way that Alex made it that is what Jews generally did on Christmas
Eve.

I'd like to hear the source of your shabes host's info of toilet-paper cutting.

>Incidentally, he attributed the Yiddish word "Nitl"
>to the English/Latin Natal, referring to Christmas as Jesus's natal day.

That's correct.   But in my traditional, Yiddish-speaking house and
neighborhood, we never used the word.   We used to call the holiday
"kratsmakh" which literally mean 'scratch me'.

Reyzl Kalifowicz-Waletzky