Charming Hostess.

Well, I don't really care much about Cantors one way of the other, so
I'll stay WIDE of that thread (I haven't been to shul or even heard a
cantor in six years anyway)...

But I did want to remind everyone in the NYC area about tomorrow night's
show at the Knitting Factory, part of the Klezmer Festival they're
putting on.  Tomorrow night (the 25th), my favorite Bay Area band in any
genre, Charming Hostess, is playing there.

Hostess doesn't get to the East Coast very often, but IF you have a
taste for the adventurous, you should DEFINITELY check them out.
They've described themselves variously as "Klezmer-Punk," "Balkan-Funk,"
and even "Detroit Albanian Pop" (that one's a long story), and their
style combines energetic rock, Eastern European folk harmonies, and rock
and klezmer instrumentation.

More of their Jewish music is actually in Ladino than in Yiddish, so
it's a great opportunity to see a side of Jewish musical culture that
doesn't often pop up in the US.

Check them out if you can!  (If you're lucky, they'll perform in drag,
too!)  And if you can't make it, but want more details about the band,
feel free to mail me privately, and I'll be happy to give you their
contact information!

Enjoy...

Mark
Somewhere Near San Francisco

"When a man can't dance, he says the band can't play."
 -- Yiddish Proverb, used in the Charming Hostess song "Sha Shtil"

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->