Re: Rosowsky, Zeitlin, Achron, Gnessin

Dear Joel Epstein,

With regard to your inquiry of 11/8/97 I recommend first to take a look at
the book by Albert Weisser "The Modern Renaissance of Jewish Music: Events
and Figures. Eastern Europe and America" (NY 1954; second ed. -- Da Capo
Press, NY 1983).&

Coming semester in the University of California at Berkeley I am invited as
Bloch Professor to deliver six open lectures on Russian-Jewish music. The
first lecture should be on February 23, 1998,  and is entitled "A Pleiad of
Russian-Jewish Composers: Towards the History of a Unique Phenomenon in
Music Yiddishism". The following lectures will be as follows: Joel Engel
(1868--1927); Zusman Kiselgof (1878--1939); Moshe Beregovsky (1892--1961);
Mikhail Gnesin (1883--1957);  David Maggid  (1862--1942) and his daughter
Sophie Maggid (1892--1954); "The National Jewish Music Movement in Russia
Today".&

This semester I am teaching Russian folklore and folkloristics and have no
possibility to communicate with you in details.  Apropos, as a result of my
future series of lectures should be a book on this topic.&

Meantime enjoy the book of A. Weisser.

Sincerely,

Izaly I. Zemtsovsky

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->