Re: Sephardi music

In a message dated 10/21/97 10:45:08 PM, Joel Bresler wrote:

>No Rock Stars In This Thread!! Opera Stars Instead!!
>
>In La Traviata, the aria "Addio" uses the same melody as the familiar
>Ladino song "Adio Querida". Does anyone know if that is indeed where Verdi
>got the melody?

When Flory Jagoda came through Chicago to play at the big folk fest a couple
years ago, she distributed some sheet music to those interested. Here's what
she says about Adiyo Kerida -- which, according to a couple Sephardi music
dabblers I've talked to, predates Verdi (by at least a century) -- in her
note at the top of the page:

"Modern interpretations of this song have changed it from what I remember
from the 1940s when this was the most loved song in Balkan contries, the
hottest tango in town. It has classical attributes as well, since Giuseppe
Verdi incorporated it into his 'La Traviata.' We Sephardim feel that he
borrowed the melody from us, although he did change the rhythm."

I have to say that in talking to her I found her a little bit ditzy, though
extremely open and nice. Obviously her note above carries little
authoritative weight other than the fact that she can speak for some
Sephardim in stating that their opinion is that Verdi got the tune from them.
And what she means by "it has classical attributes" is a mystery to me. I
doubt there is any way to prove where Verdi got the tune, but I thought it
might interest you to hear this opinion. It certainly wouldn't be the only
time a "serious" composer swiped -- I mean incorporated -- a folk melody.

jeff dorchen

PS: The American composer, Aaron Copland, frequently pilfered folk tunes for
his own nefarious purposes. Apparently there's a movie out about him starring
Sylvester Stallone and Harvey Keitel, which I'm sure documents this process.
I hear Oliver Stone is working on a Verdi biopic, so perhaps soon we will
finally learn the truth of the matter.

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->