Re: Cartoon music klezmer?

Dan is right. The Klezmorim DID introduce the myth that there is klezmer
music in cartoons. A show of theirs I saw at New York's Public Theater
included a lengthy on-stage explanation about how klezmer music was used in
the Flesicher brothers animations capped by trumpet player Brian Wishnefsky
unfurling a banner of Betty Boop!  Need I say more?
As to your "hearing cartoon effects in Kandel's music". Neat trick, Ari
considering the first sound cartoon ("Steamboat Willie") didn't appear until
the year AFTER Kandel stopped recording.
And please don't confuse this red (schmaltz) herring myth of klezmer and
cartoons with that of Jews and gypsies. Any serious devotee of this music
knows that there was a rich and vibrant social/musical interaction between
Jews and gypsies. The same, however, cannot be said about Yiddish music and
American animated films. Period.
Whew! Now that that is finally settled, can we PLEASE move on to another
subject...?

Henry Sapoznik
Author
"Klezmer! A Social History