Viktor Ullman

Rose:

In fact, Viktor Ullmann was a fairly assimilated Jew until he was sent to
Terezin.  However, late in his life he did seem more interested in Jewish
musical materials.  The final movement of his Piano Sonata No. 7 is a
variation and fugue on a Jewish folk melody.

I find trying to define specific kinds of music to usually be a waste of
time.  I write and perform a lot of different kinds of music, and am not too
concerned whether people call it "Jewish" or not, or "classical" or "jazz" or
whatever other label.  However, to say that the Terezin composers, writing in
a ghetto which was really a concentration camp for Jews to hear and for to
hear, were not writing "Jewish" music seems to be a bit perverse.

Jeffrey Schanzer

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->