Re: Naftule Brandwein CD

Hi Henry, Avi et al.,

Could you comment on the re-mastering process? As a part-time engineer and jazz
musician, I'm familiar with how digital remastering of stuff that's originally
analogically recorded often suffers in quality. Personally, I've never even
preferred DDD, I'll take a high-quality vinyl LP with topnotch engineering any
day over CD's, but that's really a separate issue.

I'm just kind of curious how they attained the good quality you mention.

Thanks much,

Scott
estaylor (at) cris(dot)com

On Tue, 14 Jan 1997, ari (at) ivritype(dot)com (Ari Davidow) wrote:
>>The long-awaited collection of 25 historic recordings of the legendary
>>klezmer clarinetist Naftule Brandwein has just been released by Rounder
>>Records.
>>Co-produced by Henry Sapoznik and Richard Spottswood, with an in-depth
>>biography of Brandwein by Henry Sapoznik, the CD contains  rare 78 rpm discs
>>recorded between the years1922-1941which have been brilliantly remastered.
>>Copies can be ordered for $15 (plus $3.50 p/h) from Living Traditions 430 W.
>>14th St #514 New York NY 10014.
>
>I'd like to chime in and note that not only is this incredible
>klez, but the remastering and liner notes on this are superb.
>Even in January it's not to early to call this one of the best
>klez albums of the year. What an amazing musician! What a sound!
>
>=This= is what reissues should be--sound so good and current that
>what you really notice is how good the music is and find yourself
>dancing.
>
>Look for a review on my klez pages soon
>   http://www.well.com/user/ari/klez/
>
>ari