Remastering Brandwein 78s

I've received a number of e-mails asking me about the transfering process I
use when re-mastering 78s.Though, I know this list is about Jewish music, I
thought some folks might be interested:

The remastering and reissuing of 78s is key to the success and vitality of
the current reinterest in klezmer music. Having produced the first reissue of
klezmer recordings back in 1982, I have since produced 6 other anthologies of
period 78 Jewish recordings (1899-1953) and my methodology remains basically
the same: great performances, high quality clean discs, a variable speed
turntable, a wide assortment of stylii (elicptical and truncated in
increments of .5 ml) then and only then reliance on digital remastering. A
mutilated or worn 78 signal cannot be enhanced by a digital process by
itself, and many times the digital process (like the No-Noise system) can
 actually inhibit the presence of the original recordings. This is especially
true on acoustic discs and cylinders (1890s-1925) where, because they were
recorded with a horn and not a mic, the upper third of the sonic range (where
the most sizzle and crackle and pop are heard) also  is where the majority of
your signal is  and the critical overtones --where the recording "breathes".
Eliminate this upper third and you have a dry and airless remaster. Listen
carefully, and you'll actually hear surface noise on my reissues --- but
you'll also hear the full spectrum of sound that these early discs had to
offer (most people don't realize that the recording technology was years
ahead of the playback technology...!) In any case, I hope folks get a chance
to enjoy my latest re-issue.

Henry Sapoznik

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->