Re: Klezmer revival

On Thu, 19 Sep 1996 estaylor (at) cris(dot)com wrote:

> What are the names of these groups and do you have a list of available
> recordings? They sound fascinating, especially the Sephardic/African/mizrahi
> mix. Also, for the one in the deep South, do they do any touring in the
> Southeastern United States, particularly in Florida?

Well, I happen to know that at least one of those groups has a member who
has posted a response to this thread. His touring practices, you'll have
to ask him, although I would be thrilled if they came down Maryland way so
I could put them on my show (Moshe?) (sephardic/klezmer mix) The deep
south group is New Orleans
Klezmer All-Stars, who live at Stretchy records, you can get contact info
from Ari Davidow's klezmer web page, but I f you can't get I'll go look it
up. I don't have it with me at  the moment. Um. I'll try and remember who
else I was specifically thinking of, but I'll not -mizrachi/rock mix: Ofra
Haza and Yosefa (there's also Noa, but I can't stand her stuff. It sounds
like Madonna-schmutz to me) There's (straight-up sephardic, but pretty
rockin') Voice of the Turtle, and there's a group called Davka, which is
another klezmer/sephardic/mizrachi/other stuff mix.
Good start?

Alana

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->