Olympic music

Just an observation: Has anyone elso watching the Olympics Gymnastics
noticed that much of the Eastern European/Slavic music has been Jewish?
In fact, One Romanian girl's music was "Havenu Sholem Aleikhem" (played
on pan pipes with a traditional Romanian folk ensemble)!
Just today (Friday), a Ukrainian girl's Rhythmic Gymnastics music was a
Klezmer recording from, I think, Eyal Sela's recording (I may be mistaken
about that because I only have a poor dub of it, not being able to order
it in this country).
         This use of Jewish melodies by Communist countries
(even tho they have kicked the commies out, it will take time to reverse
the cultural and educational trends, so I still use this designation) is
a legacy of the totalitarian state's effort to forcibly assimilate
minorities by stealing their melodies and re-arranging them in various
forms (such as with a Romanian band) while providing them with new,
nationalistic lyrics. In my band's (Machaya Klezmer Band) KLEZMER CLUB we
often have Russian emmigres come to enjoy themselves and they tell us, "I
never knew that was a Jewish tune!". They grew up with many patriotic
songs which were actually Shers, Freilakhs, etc. Now we in the US are
being treated to a first-hand demonstration of the insidiousness of the
Communist Totalitarian State's ethnic policies. I.e., if you can't murder
'em all, take away their heritage.

Fred Jacobowitz
Clarinet/Sax Instructor, Peabody Preparatory and
Machaya Klezmer Band in the Washington, DC/Baltimore area

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->