Re: Olympic music

Cantor Neil Schwartz wrote:

> In article
> <Pine(dot)SUN(dot)3(dot)91(dot)960802123730(dot)2919C-100000 (at)
> gigue(dot)peabody(dot)jhu(dot)edu>,
> fredj (at) peabody(dot)jhu(dot)edu wrote:
>
> > Just an observation: Has anyone elso watching the Olympics Gymnastics
> > noticed that much of the Eastern European/Slavic music has been Jewish?
> > In fact, One Romanian girl's music was "Havenu Sholem Aleikhem" (played
> > on pan pipes with a traditional Romanian folk ensemble)!
> > Just today (Friday), a Ukrainian girl's Rhythmic Gymnastics music was a
> > Klezmer recording from, I think, Eyal Sela's recording (I may be mistaken
> > about that because I only have a poor dub of it, not being able to order
> > it in this country).
> >          This use of Jewish melodies by Communist countries
> > (even tho they have kicked the commies out, it will take time to reverse
> > the cultural and educational trends, so I still use this designation) is
> > a legacy of the totalitarian state's effort to forcibly assimilate
> > minorities by stealing their melodies and re-arranging them in various
> > forms (such as with a Romanian band) while providing them with new,
> > nationalistic lyrics. In my band's (Machaya Klezmer Band) KLEZMER CLUB we
> > often have Russian emmigres come to enjoy themselves and they tell us, "I
> > never knew that was a Jewish tune!". They grew up with many patriotic
> > songs which were actually Shers, Freilakhs, etc. Now we in the US are
> > being treated to a first-hand demonstration of the insidiousness of the
> > Communist Totalitarian State's ethnic policies. I.e., if you can't murder
> > 'em all, take away their heritage.
> >
> > Fred Jacobowitz
> > Clarinet/Sax Instructor, Peabody Preparatory and
> > Machaya Klezmer Band in the Washington, DC/Baltimore area
>
> Interesting observation.  Since I am one of the few Americans who managed to
> totally ignore the Olympics, I did not notice this.  There may be a simpler
> reason, however:  if one knows where to look, recorded Jewish music is more
> available than music of most other Eastern European ethnic groups.  While I
> fear we don't do a good job teaching it to our kids, at least it is recorded.
>
> --
> Cantor Neil Schwartz
>
> schwartz (at) enter(dot)net

While it´s true that the Eastblock countries have implemented a revolting
policy of homogenization toward their diverse cultures, Jews have not been
singled out in this process. Formerly, those melodies you call "Jewish" were
often pan-East European shared structures which each minority put its own
text to (or danced to), the first of which phenomenon ethnomusicologists
prefer to call "contra factum." It is certainly true that Jewish music is at
least as present as other E. European ethnic groups in American record
stores, but this is not true in East Europe. A cursory visit to any market in
say Romania, Poland, Belorus, etc will show  you a dearth of Jewish music,
but a preponderence of local groups playing anything from grass roots
traditional to casio-synthesizer-influxed poppy folk. Western Distribution
of CD´s in East Europe is just beginning (few people own CD players), but the
main markets there are, first and foremost, cassettes and LP´s. Western
companies have little interest in marketing CD´s to no-pay countries, which
accounts largely for the lack of stock from cultures outside of their
immediate region. Since the curtain came down, there has arisen an intense,
often fanatic interest in ethnic cultures coming from those cultures
themselves. This is due to the cultural repression of the communist
governments, which after their so-called dissolution (I prefer to call it
veiling) unleashed the expressive energy of these cultures, who had
sometimes preserved their ethnicity underground, but in many cases have
had to go through a process of revival, fueled by intense, novice feelings of
ethnic identity. One of the results of this has been an unwitting promiscuity
with other cultures´ expressions, which some ethnic groups have claimed as
their own. I don´t know what´s behind the use of a melody like Havenu
Shalom Alaykhem, because there´s a case of a melody which is, to my
knowledge, known by everyone as a Jewish hymn.

While anti-semitism is still a freighteningly strong force  (temporarily
dormant or otherwise) in eastern Europe, there is the phenomenon of Jewish
Music forming a symbol among the youth against their parents and
established faschist tendencies. This is especially true in Poland. Certainly
Germany shows this tendency also, though the dynamics of its culture are
quite different than eastern Europe. It would be fascinating to find out how
the athletes and administrators of the sports groups using Jewish Music in
the olympics view themselves. Any suggestions as to how go about
something like that? Joshua Horowitz

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->