Re: Fabrangen Fiddlers Concert

Elaind,
        The "Fiddlers", as we call them (here in the DC area, where they
are colleagues) play Jewish music - often reminiscent of Klezmer (Jewish
**WEDDING** music) - which is rarely true Klezmer (as most people would
describe it: sounding like the old bands). However, by that criterion,
Giora Feidman's music is arguably not true Klezmer! Klezmer is indeed a
living, evolving art form. I like to describe the "Fiddlers' "music as
'Jewgrass' (that is a term that I think THEY originated). That is, very
much like Bluegrass but with lots of Jewish melodies and Hebrew lyrics.
They are a fun show and if not traditional-sounding, at least innovative
and very listenable. I'd recommend that you go.

Fred Jacobowitz
Machaya Klezmer Band in the Washington, DC/Baltimore area
On Thu, 1 Aug 1996, Elaine Lawrence wrote:

> i live quite a distance from Frederick - but I could travel.  I need to
> know if this is a klezmer concert or not.
>
> Thanks, Elaine
>
> On Thu, 1 Aug 1996, Doug Wissoker wrote:
>
> > I just want to let folks know that the Fabrangen Fiddlers will be
> > playing at the National Havurah Committee '96 Summer Institute at
> > Hood College in Frederick Maryland.
> >
> > The concert will be held Tuesday Aug. 13th at 8 pm.
> >
> > Approximately 50 tickets are available for the general public.  For
> > tickets write to:
> >
> > NHC Concert
> > 13928 Wagon Way
> > Silver Spring, MD 20906
> >
> > Tickets are $10 and make checks payable to the National Havurah
> > Commitee.   Or call 301-871-9060 for information.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Doug Wissoker
> >
> > p.s.  Sorry for the advertisement, but i thought folks might be
> > interested.

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->