Re: Help UK Student "Jewish Childcare / Culture "

In article <318e3387(dot)6815966 (at) news(dot)dial(dot)pipex(dot)com>, fv67
(at) dial,pipex.com
(andy & Lisa) wrote:

> Hi
>
> Im a second year Student studing Nursery education in England, I have
> to cover Jewish child care / culture relevant to under eights.
>
> I have to cover Relion, festivals, childhhod ,adulthood,old age etc
>
> Then desgign a days play for a under five in a playgroup /nursery,
> demonstarting an awareness of the Jewish culture which sadly at this
> present time i have not got.
>
> Anybody with any ideas / games relevant to under eights or any DO's
> DON'TS. you think i should include please reply.
>

> All Emails acknolwledged
>

> thanks
>
> Lisa

Start with a basic introduction to Judaism, such as "Basic Judaism" by
Milton Steinberg.  The Jewish Publication Society has "The First Jewish
Catalog" which covers holidays and life cycle in an upbeat manner.

Some "DO"s and "DON'T"s:  Do not suggest that bacon, ham, or pork be
served for lunch.  Do not offer milk with a meat sandwich.  Do not plan
an activity for Friday night or Saturday - it is our Sabbath.

There is some wonderful Jewish music for children which can support your
curriculum planning.  Visit the on-line catalog of Tara Publications at
http://www.jewishmusic.com   for "The New Children's Songbook" - edited
by Velvel Pasternak.

Good luck!
--