Re: Eastern European Jewish Folk Dance Workshop (fwd)

Since there have been so many positive reactions and inquiries regarding
our notice about Michael Alpert's May 5th workshop at Rikuday Dor Rishon
in New York, I thought it appropriate to report my impressions of how it
went (any other impressions are welcome).  I should first point out that I
had not seen Michael Alpert teach his dances before, but in keeping with
the philosophy of our group we were open to styles of dance that were
authentic and connected with Jewish roots (in this case eastern Europe).
As far as I know, this is probably the first attempt at bringing
the type of eastern European folk dances Michael has collected to an
established Israeli folk dance session (at least in New York).  Of
course we do only the classic Israeli folk dances at our session, some of
whose origins go back to eastern Europe.  Nevertheless, attempting to bring
together the Yiddishist/Klezmer world with that of the Hebraicist/Israeli folk
dance community through the medium of eastern European Jewish dance was fraught
with uncertainty and risk.  I am happy to say that the workshop was a
resounding success.  Michael taught four types of eastern European dances,
backed by a four-piece Klezmer band, to an overflow crowd that was highly
enthusiastic & appreciative. It was interesting to see the mix of people, with
some wearing t-shirts saying Yiddish (in Yiddish) and others dressed in
Hebrew t-shirts saying Shorashim (roots in Hebrew), which is the name of our
annual Labor Day Weekend Israeli Folkdance Camp.  There were children,
singles, families, seniors--all experiencing the joy of dance.  Some
commented that it was like being at a Jewish wedding.  Michael's workshop
was followed by the Rikuday Dor Rishon dancers performing in full
costume the Sherele and Sher (eastern European folkdances that have been
preserved among the classic Israeli folkdances) followed by Danny Uziel
and Ruth Goodman (the 92nd St Y Jewish dance co-directors) leading couples
through the formations of a Rondo dance done to the accompanyment of the
Klezmer band led by Michael Alpert.  The theme of the evening was topped
off by Israeli folkdances that were eastern European in style and/or in
the music used.  It was truly a memorable happening that brought diverse,
and at times divided, communities together through dance.  The theme of
the workshop will be continued in our Folk/Ethnic Dance & Music Seminar
Tour of Eastern Europe & Israel, where we plan to continue dancing with
Michael Alpert at the Krakow Jewish Culture Festival (where he will appear
with his band Brave Old World together with other bands from the US,
eastern Europe and Israel).  All who are interested in bringing
communities together through folk and ethnic music and dance are welcome
to join us.
Haim Kaufman

On Mon, 6 May 1996 BUhlemann (at) aol(dot)com wrote:

> I can vouch for Michael Alpert's teaching of Dances.  He gave a workshop in
> Campaign/Urbana and provided a fairly scholarly syllabus and taught some
> stuff that was largely improvised as well as dances that were more
> structured.  Those used to Israeli choreographies were somewhat
> disappointed,but  he ran the workshop with wit, knowledge, and in the way
> Hungarian dance of the "Tanchaz" sort is taught.  This is as close to a
> "purist" approach as we'll probably ever see in this country.   John Uhlemann

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->