Re: Non-Jewish Composers of "Jewish music"

Regarding this question of defining Jewish Music, I tend to agree with
Rita Klinger of Seattle ( see her post of Wed, 7 Feb 1996 17:40:37 -0800
(PST)), in that definition escapes us, and that that which we consider
'Jewish' is an acculturated phenomenon.

In this regard, it is interesting to note that the Hassidim have long had a
tradition of the 'Nigun Ga-ul' (the redeemed melody), by which a melody
ostensibly from a non-Jewish source is taken up by a Hassid, sung with
sonorous syllables (such as ya bi bom, di gi day, and so on) and is thus
transformed into an ecstatic chant. The idea of 'redemption' stems from the
mystic insight into the origin of all Nigun. All Nigun is deemed to be
pre-figured by the Creator (like the Torah, and the Mashiach) and kept in a
Celestial Palace of Song (Heichal Han'gina). Thus the whole idea of human
will being the producer of Music is called into question. Music, or in
Hassidic terminology, N'gina, exists from the beginning of time - it is not
authored by anyone but the one Creator. Thus, Schubert, Beethoven,
Bernstein, and the Modjitzer Rebbe, are all nought but vehicles of a
timeless Divine gift. I don't think there are too many musicians who would
argue with this sentiment, though in our search for self-identity we slip up
again and again, and limit the N'gina by the limitations of the relatively
trivial spheres of our various cultures.

An interesting article about Hassidic Music, by Velvel Pasternak, can be
found on Tara Publications' website:
http://www.clark.net/tara/

All the Best,

Moshe Denburg